Our PhD candidate Alla Vovk created a reading list with textbooks for those interested to learn more about Augmented Reality and related topics.
Finally did something that was planning for a very long time — created an Augmented Reality Reading List. As you may know, I’m researching Spatial Interfaces and interaction in AR and here is something that I’ve been reading for all these PhD years. The list has some titles that would be quite a good choice for an absolute beginner, and a selection of books about cognition, perception and spatial memory for a deeper understanding of the topic (my favorite part) — Alla Vovk
1. Handbook of Virtual Environments: Design, Implementation, and Applications. Kelly S. Hale, Kay M. Stanney.
2. Augmented Reality: Principles and Practice. Tobias Höllerer, Dieter Schmalstieg.
3. Handbook of Augmented Reality. Furht, B.
4. Spatial Augmented Reality: Merging Real and Virtual Worlds. Oliver Bimber, Ramesh Raskar.
5. Understanding Augmented Reality. Concepts and Applications. Alan Craig.
6. Envisioning Holograms. Design Breakthrough Experiences for Mixed Reality. Mike Pell.
7. 3D User Interfaces. Theory and Practice. Joseph LaViola, Ernst Kruijff, Ryan McMahan.
8. Things That Make Us Smart: Defending Human Attributes In The Age Of The Machine. Donald A. Norman.
9. Computational Interaction. Antti Oulasvirta, Per Ola Kristensson, Xiaojun Bi.
10. Being Digital. Nicholas Negroponte.
11. The Mind is Flat. Nick Chater.
12. Designing with Blends: Conceptual Foundations of Human-Computer Interaction and Software Engineering. Manuel Imaz, David Benyon.
13. Action in Perception. Alva Nöe.
14. Human Factors in Augmented Reality Environments. Huang, Weidong, Alem, Leila, Livingston, Mark.
15. Immersive Analytics. Marriott, K., Schreiber, F., Dwyer, T., Klein, K., Riche, N.H., Itoh, T., Stuerzlinger, W., Thomas, B.H.
16. How to Design Programs. An Introduction to Programming and Computing. Matthias Felleisen, Robert Bruce Findler, Matthew Flattand Shriram Krishnamurthi.
17. Where the Action Is. The Foundations of Embodied Interaction. Paul Dourish.
18. Visual Intelligence: How We Create What We See. Donald D Hoffman.
19. Human Spatial Memory: Remembering Where. Gary L. Allen.
20. Metaphors We Live By. George Lakoff and Mark Johnson.
21. Cognitive Mapping: Past, Present and Future. Rob Kitchin, Scott Freundschuh.
22. Things and Places. How the Mind Connects with the World. Zenon W. Pylyshyn.
23. Joy of UX, The: User Experience and Interactive Design for Developers. David Platt.
24. Storytelling for User Experience. Crafting stories for better design. Whitney Quesenbery and Kevin Brooks.
25. The Age of Insight: The Quest to Understand the Unconscious in Art, Mind, and Brain, from Vienna 1900 to the Present. Eric Kandel.
26. Human Error. James Reason.
27. Is the Visual World a Grand Illusion? Alva Noe.
28. Human space. O.F. Bollnow.
29. Cognition in the Wild. Edwin Hutchins.
30. Eye, Brain and Vision. David H. Hubel.
31. The Oxford Companion to the Mind. Richard L. Gregory.
32. Envisioning Information. Edward R. Tufte.
33. The Embodied Mind, Revised Edition. Cognitive Science and Human Experience. Francisco J. Varela, Evan Thompson and Eleanor Rosch.
34. Cognition Beyond the Brain. Computation, Interactivity and Human Artifice. Stephen J. Cowley, Frederic Vallee-Tourangeau.
35. Emotional Engineering. Shuichi Fukuda.
36. Toward a Theory of Instruction. Jerome Bruner.