We have released a new version of MirageXR, the Open Source Moodle-compatible Augmented Reality authoring and learning tool, following a longer refactoring process. The apps for iOS, Android, Hololens 1, and Hololens 2 are now much faster, following the re-write of the core of the experience engine, also preparing for the Big UI update planned for Version 2.0. MirageXR stands out from all Augmented Reality authoring tools with its dedicated focus on learning, also with deep integration with AR learning analytics using the IEEE experience API.


  • We added new animations for the character models.
  • Pick & place now allows setting whether location resets or is remembered when repeating the activity. We also added contextual help to explain configuration better.
  • The model augmentation now has a log-out button, which allows forcing to reauthenticate with Sketchfab.


  • We fixed a bug in the activity list, which prevented displaying and searching the title.
  • We improved the built-in tutorial for the world space smart glasses user interface, changing wording, adding steps, and fixing a bug.
  • Several improvements to the character augmentation ensure that: the position marker does not slip so easily underneath the spatial map; handling of triggers; and a bug causing the edit panel to stay visible in the viewer.
  • The app version is now passed through via the IEEE P1589-2020 activity model to the repository.


  • We fixed cross-platform issues with the image and video augmentations.
  • The pick & place augmentation on iOS was missing the sphere indicating the target zone.
  • In the settings screen on mobile platforms, the labels are now displayed correctly.
  • We fixed an issue causing glyph, character model, and drawing sometimes to forget size or position.
  • We fixed an issue with the activity thumbnail not resetting, when creating a new activity.
  • The activity list now correctly updates when returning to it after a new activity was created.
  • “https://” is now added automatically to the Moodle URL.
  • On the smart glasses UI, the grid augmentation menu now stays open when browsing to an empty action step and back.
  • The pointless ‘relocate activity list’ icon is no longer displayed on mobile platforms, only on smart glasses.
  • Some QR links were broken due to a bug in the Moodle repository plugin. This is now fixed.
  • We added support for non-Latin characters to TextMeshPro, fixing issues with special characters in passwords and usernames.
  • We did some improvement to lighting of holograms.


  • We added a possibility to automatically build multiple apps with separate config files.
  • We added an option in the BrandConfiguration class that allows now to specify which augmentation editors shall be made available (with different configurations possible for mobile / smart glasses).
  • It is now possible to configure the xAPI authentication and the Moodle URL via config file.


  • We migrated the project from GitLab provided by XR4ALL to a new code hosting platform on GitHub.
  • We setup new Github runners for Windows and Linux, and refactored our CI pipelines, migrating to GitHub actions, finally also adding a dedicated Android CI build pipeline.
  • Add abstraction layer for addressing GameObjects in the scene.
  • We introduced formal reviews as part of the changed approval process: every merge request is now reviewed and upon acceptance the original developer has to merge. This improves capacity of sprint masters, shifting workload back to the originating party.
  • We improved documentation, including with UML, in particular of the core and the connected augmentation system.
  • We implemented automatic syntax checking with StyleCop.
  • We cleaned the repository of some 3D models that are no longer used.
  • On mobile platforms, we replaced Vuforia with AR Foundation.
  • Notifications on slack now include the merge request details.
  • Pipeline preview builds now display the correct version number.